Frequency Asked Questions: General
Why be a part of DESIGN Canberra?
Established in 2014, the festival has built a reputation for itself as the most important event on the Canberra design calendar, drawing more than 24,000 visitors each year. Participating in DESIGN Canberra can:
- Provide a professional platform for you to present your work
- Connect you to new and wide audiences through both media and promotion, and attendance at your event
- Help you build networks within Canberra’s design industry
Am I eligible to host an event as part of in DESIGN Canberra?
DESIGN Canberra Expressions of Interest are open to anyone who loves design! The festival particularly welcomes Expressions of Interest from:
- Independent professional craft and design practitioners at emerging, early, mid and established career levels
- Arts organisations and collectives
- Design sector businesses and associations
- Educational institutions
What would I be responsible for?
As a participant in DESIGN Canberra, you will plan and run your event. This means you are responsible for:
- Overall organisation of your DESIGN Canberra event
- All staffing during your DESIGN Canberra event
- All relevant insurances and public liability (you will need to submit a proof of insurance to DESIGN Canberra)
- Ensuring safety of all participants for your DESIGN Canberra event
- All costs associated with your DESIGN Canberra event such as signage, etc.
- Delivery of promotional information by due dates (as requested by DESIGN Canberra) to be used for promotional purposes
- Payment of the Participation Fee
What will DESIGN Canberra do?
DESIGN Canberra runs the overarching festival that your event will be part of. Specifically, DESIGN Canberra will:
- Publicise, promote and advertise your event through the DESIGN Canberra website, online social media, print media and radio partners
- Publish your event in the DESIGN Canberra printed program publication
- Distribute the DESIGN Canberra printed program publication across Canberra
How much does it cost to participate in the festival?
DESIGN Canberra follows a tiered fee system to try to reduce financial barriers to participation.
- Commercial enterprise – $450.00
- Not-for-profit organisation/association – $300.00
- Artist collective – $250.00
- Individual/sole trader non-Craft ACT members – $190.00*
- Individual/sole trader Craft ACT members – $110.00
All rates listed above are inclusive of GST.
* Become a Craft ACT member today to save! Ordinary Membership is $60. More information here.
Why do I have to pay to participate?
DESIGN Canberra festival is run by non-for-profit organisation, Craft ACT: Craft and Design Centre. Craft ACT collects fees from participants to cover some of the costs associated with running DESIGN Canberra, such as festival administration and communications and marketing.
What’s the timeline? When will I hear back?
Below is a list of key dates for participation in DESIGN Canberra. Please note, these dates are subject to change at the discretion of Craft ACT.
- Early May – Expression of Interest (EOI) open
- Friday 17 June – EOIs close at 5:00pm AEST
- Friday 8 July – Applicants are informed of the outcome of their EOI
- Friday 15 July – Confirmation of participation and payment of participation fee due
- July / August (ongoing) – DESIGN Canberra timetable is set, you will coordinate your event time directly with festival staff
- October (date TBC) – DESIGN Canberra festival program is launched
- Thursday 27 October – DESIGN Canberra commences
- Sunday 20 November – DESIGN Canberra finishes
I just want to display my designs, is there somewhere I can do that?
Unfortunately, there are no Expression of Interest opportunities to exhibit or display your design work as part of DESIGN Canberra.
What happened to ACTivate? I want to do a pop-up!
The ACTivate stream is taking a break in 2016. Stay tuned for opportunities in future years.
For any further queries, please get in touch with Julian Hobba, Creative Producer of DESIGN Canberra.
Phone: 02 6262 9333