Graphic Interventions Competition
DEADLINE EXTENDED! Entries Close
4pm Wednesday 19 September 4pm Wednesday 26 September
Established or emerging designers and artists living in the Canberra region are invited to submit geometry-inspired designs to activate the city centre during DESIGN Canberra 2018.
The graphic intervention program will build on the popularity of DESIGN Canberra’s 2017 collaboration with local artist Jodie Cunningham in Civic Square. Based on this successful pilot, we will expand the interventions throughout the city to include two new ground artworks and 10 artworks to be printed onto CBD windows. Artists are welcome to submit entries into one or both categories for the opportunity to have their works seen by thousands of people over the duration of the festival. Entries in one category may be also be considered for the other category if suitable.
The DESIGN Canberra 2018 Graphic Interventions project aims to activate and beautify the city centre for the duration of the festival from 5-25 November 2018.
Ground installation proposal specifications
- 2 sites have been identified for installation of the ground interventions. These are Civic Square and the intersection of Peitrie Plaza and Bunda Street. Artists are invited to respond directly to these sites in their application.
- Download Proposed Ground Installation Locations (PDF 1.4mb).
- Selected designs can have a painted surface area of no more than 200m2, and proposals should take this into account.
- Artists should submit their design as a PDF file and may also submit a mock-up of the design in-situ.
- 2 works will be selected for installation – one in each location. Successful artists will receive a $500 cash prize as well as professional installation and removal of their design and project management of this process (approximate value $4200 per installation). Artists will also receive copies of professional photographs of their installation taken during DESIGN Canberra.
- Ground installations will be installed with non-toxic, non-slip paints and will be removed using a scrubber, high pressure cleaner, blowers, and green cleaning products.
Window installation proposal specifications
- Selected designs will be installed in windows of 10 businesses in the Canberra CBD. These sites will be negotiated by DESIGN Canberra with artists and local business owners.
- Up to 10 designs will be selected for installation. Each winner will receive a $200 cash prize as well as professional production, installation and removal of their design as a window installation, and project management of this process (approx. $550 value per design). Artists will also receive copies of professional photographs of their installation taken during DESIGN Canberra.
- Designs will be digitally printed onto adhesive vinyl for installation
- The shapes and sizes of available windows varies – entrants are encouraged to submit designs with the potential to be scaled.
Designs in both categories will also be eligible for the people’s choice awards which will be announced at the close of the 2018 DESIGN Canberra Festival (prizes TBA)
Entries will be selected by a panel of Canberra based arts professionals made up of
Jodie Cunnningham: artist, designer and winner of the 2017 DESIGN Canberra graphic interventions program
Daniel Edwards: Canberra based textile artist and designer
Rachael Coghlan: CEO of Craft ACT Craft + Design Centre
Entry is free for current members of Craft ACT. A $15 fee per entry applies for non-members.
For more information, contact Michele Grimston, Programs Manager at Craft ACT on firstname.lastname@example.org or 6262 9333
This project is made possible with support from the ACT Government under the City Renewal Authority’s City Grants Program.
Image of ‘We Dance Together’ by Jodie Cunningham – Civic Square, DESIGN Canberra 2017