Geometry in iconic Canberra architecture and design
Entries Close Wednesday 3 October, 4pm
Calling all photography and architecture enthusiasts!
Join the DESIGN Canberra photography competition for people living in Canberra and surrounds as part of DESIGN Canberra 2018. Individuals are invited to submit photographs in response to the theme of “Geometry in Canberra”.
Design is in Canberra’s DNA. From the time of the Griffin’s visionary design a century ago, to iconic experimental architecture of the 1950s and 60s, through to contemporary and sustainable developments today, Canberra has been — and always will be — a living design laboratory.
We are seeking new photography which responds to Canberra’s unique design identity. Geometry is the theme of this year’s DESIGN Canberra program, referencing Canberra’s distinctive form. Triangles, concentric circles and arcs connect major avenues and underlie the city’s early planning. Geometry is everywhere we look: inscribed on the earth, in our buildings and our city’s plan.
Entries are to be submitted via Instagram, between the 9th of August and the 3rd of October. For entries to be considered, participants will need to hashtag their photographs with #designcanberra #dcphotocomp2018 #student or #open
The judges will select 6 finalists (3 for the open category and 3 for the student category). Selected works will be printed and exhibited in the Canberra Region Visitors Centre from Wednesday 7 November to Monday 26 November 2018.
HIGH SCHOOL/COLLEGE STUDENTS – to enter this category, entrants must add a third hashtag to their entry #student
OPEN CATEGORY – open to adults; to enter this category, entrants must add a third hashtag to their entry #open
- $200 PhotoAccess Voucher to be used on one of their courses
- Photography Book – 100 views of Canberra
- Professionally printed and framed copy of your image thanks to Teds Cameras and Canberra City Framing
- Digital subscription to Better Photography Magazine
Who can enter:
- ACT and NSW high school and college students, Years 7-12.
- General public (16+)
- This is an equal opportunities competition where selection of finalists will be based on merit.
- Relatives of jury members are ineligible and must not assist any eligible person.
Terms and Conditions:
- All information detailing how to enter this competition forms part of these terms and conditions. It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the competitor agrees to abide by these rules. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- Entries must be photographs of sites located in the ACT. DESIGN Canberra reserves the right to seek see proof of location if required (for example detail shots where a building is not identifiable.
- Entrants in the student category must be enrolled in an ACT or NSW high school or college. Entrants in the open Category must be over 16 years of age.
- Entries should be submitted by following DESIGN Canberra on Instagram (@designcanberrafestival) and tagging the image you would like to enter on Instagram with the following hashtags: #designcanberra, #dcphotocomp, plus either #student or #open, depending on the category being entered into.
- Entries open on 9 August 2018 and close 4pm, 3 October 2018 and must be received by the advertised closing time and date.
- All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them and must not have been published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other photographic competition. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any images they submit have been taken with the permission of the subject and do not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws. Entrants must warrant that the photograph they are submitting is their own work and that they own the copyright for it.
- Copyright for all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. However, in consideration of their providing the Competition, each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to DESIGN Canberra and Craft ACT to feature any or all of the submitted images in any of their publications, their websites and/or in any promotional material connected to this competition.
- Multiple entries are allowed. Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties.
- Shortlisted entries will be notified by Friday 19 October 2010.
- The winning entries will be those that are judged to best meet the outlined selection criteria. The winning entrants will be contacted prior to the awards night which will take place as part of the Creative Careers event at Radford College. A range of prizes will be awarded to the winning entrants as outlined on the website.
- DESIGN Canberra will take responsibility for printing shortlisted entries. It is strongly recommended that participants have a high-resolution version of their entry available for printing purposes. These entries will then be displayed at the Canberra Region Visitor Centre from Wednesday 7 November to Monday 26 November 2018 (indicative dates only).
- Events may occur that render the competition itself or the awarding of the prizes impossible due to reasons beyond the control of DESIGN Canberra. In this instance, DESIGN Canberra may at its absolute discretion vary or amend the promotion and the entrant agrees that no liability shall attach to DESIGN Canberra as a result thereof.
Image: Winner of the 2017 DESIGN Canberra photographic competition (student), “Arrival” 2017 by Isabel Matthews (2000-2018, Canberra)