Calling all Canberra photography, architecture and design enthusiasts! DESIGN Canberra’s annual photography competition is officially open. We are seeking new photography which responds to the theme of ‘this is suburbia’ and celebrates the suburban identity of Canberra.
A panel of judges will select 6 finalists (3 for the open category and 3 for the student category). Selected works will be printed and exhibited during DESIGN Canberra (9 – 29 November 2020). Each finalist will receive a cash prize of $100 and a DESIGN Canberra gift bag.
Entries are to be submitted via Instagram, between 29 June and 28 September. For entries to be considered, participants will need to follow and tag @designcanberrafestival and hashtag their photographs with #designcanberra #dcphotocomp2020 and #student if you are a college or high school student.
Entry to the competition is FREE and submissions close 28 September 2020.
The winners will be announced on social media and the DESIGN Canberra website in November 2020.
Who can enter:
- ACT and NSW high school and college students
- General public
- This is an equal opportunities competition where selection of finalists will be based on merit
- Relatives of the judging panel are ineligible and must not assist any eligible person
- Adherence/appropriateness to theme
- Technical execution (exposure, white balance, depth of field, focus, lighting)
- Composition (balance, placement, cropping)
- Overall impact (the “I wish I’d taken that picture” reaction)
Terms and Conditions of Entry:
- All information detailing how to enter this competition forms part of these terms and conditions. It is a condition of entry that all rules and accepted as final and that the competitor agrees to abide by these rules. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- Entries must be photographs of sites located in the ACT. DESIGN Canberra reserves the right to request proof of location if required (for example detail shots where a building is not identifiable).
- Entrants in the student category must be enrolled in an ACT or NSW high school or college.
- Entries should be submitted by tagging DESIGN Canberra on Instagram (@designcanberrafestival) and tagging the image you would like to enter on Instagram with the following hashtags: #designcanberra #dcphotocomp2020 plus #student, to enter the student category.
- Entries open at 29 June 2020 and close midnight 28 September 2020 and must be received by the advertised closing time and date.
- All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them and must not have been published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other photographic competition. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any images they submit have been taken with the permission of the subject and do not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws. Entrants must warrant that the photograph they are submitting is their own work and that they own the copyright for it.
- Copyright of the images remains the property of the image creator/photographer
- The six Finalists and 100 Semi-Finalists grant Craft ACT a non-exclusive licence to reproduce their image(s) at no charge for inclusion in a DESIGN Canberra Festival exhibition and all publicity and promotion of the competition and exhibition in print media for a period of five years from 29 June 2020, at the discretion of the organisers.
- The Finalists and Semi-Finalists grant Craft ACT a non-exclusive licence to reproduce the Finalist’s image(s) and Semi-Finalist’s image(s) at no charge for all publicity and promotion of the competition and exhibition in all electronic media at the discretion of the organisers and to be posted on the DESIGN Canberra Festival website.
- Craft ACT will credit the photographer whenever their work is used by Craft ACT or DESIGN Canberra. Craft ACT will supply the photographer’s name to third parties (such as newspapers and magazines) and will use best-endeavour to ensure images are credited. Craft ACT will maintain the integrity of the work and will not make any changes without first obtaining the photographer’s permission, unless reasonable in the circumstances to do so.
- Multiple entries are allowed. Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties.
- The winning entries will be those that the judges believe to have met the outlined selection criteria. The winning entrants will be contacted prior to the winners announcement on instagram and DESIGN Canberra website.
- DESIGN Canberra will take responsibility for printing shortlisted entries. It is strongly recommended that participants have a high-resolution version of their entry available for printing purposes, if participants cannot provide a high enough resolution version of their entry, their entry may not be printed and displayed during DESIGN Canberra.
- Finalist entries as well as the top 100 submissions will be displayed during DESIGN Canberra (9 – 29 November 2020).
- Events may occur that render the competition itself or the display of finalists impossible due to reasons beyond the control of DESIGN Canberra. In this instance, DESIGN Canberra may at its absolute discretion vary or amend the promotion and the entrant agrees that no liability shall attach to DESIGN Canberra as a result thereof.