DESIGN Canberra is delighted to again partner with Canberra Centre to present new furniture and homewares created by some of Australia’s most exciting designers and makers. Against the backdrop of the iconic Monaro Mall, HOME:MADE 19 provides a unique opportunity to source one-off pieces for your home.
This annual exhibition (3 years running) brings together the work of each artist, who were selected for their unique approach to making and design. Designers and makers in this exhibition include:
- Estelle Briedis (ACT), with her screen-printed Mesa Panel. Estelle Briedis is a Canberra-based surface designer and screen printer who specialises in creating original surface designs, exploring ideas of architectural geometry, the mathematical process of tessellation and the aesthetics of symmetry.
- Misa Gelin (QLD), with her range of small, wearable jewellery pieces. Misa Gelin is an emerging Gold & Silversmith/jeweller at LAS (Little Anvil Studios).
- Hegidesignhouse (NSW), with pieces from their furniture collection. Hegi Design House is a Gerringong-based design studio exclusively dedicated to producing furniture from sustainably-sourced materials.
- Duncan Meerding (TAS), with his Propeller Pendants and Droop lights. Duncan is a lighting and furniture Designer/Maker based in Tasmania, Australia. The natural environment inspires much of his work.
- Stephen Roy (SA), with his Arc Wardrobe. Stephen Roy is an emerging Adelaide based furniture designer and maker. Stephen recently completed the highly competitive training program in furniture design at JamFactory, Adelaide.
- Wayne Simon (ACT), with his Rainbow Serpent Bangles. Wayne Simon is a contemporary indigenous jeweller who uses precious metals with indigenous and organic materials; such as kangaroo leather and echidna quills.
- Rachel Thomson (ACT), with her Canberra 3D, Printed chess set. Rachel graduated from UC with a Bachelor of Arts in Architecture and is currently working towards achieving a master’s in Architecture.
- Sparks and Dust (ACT), with his Kodo Hat & Coat Stand. Sparks & Dust is a Canberra based furniture brand blending steel and timber into contemporary design which was founded by Daniel Margules.
- Ivana Taylor (SA), with her Bound Bench. Ivana Taylor is a textile and furniture designer whose work entwines textiles and timber. Ivana completed a Bachelor of Design and Art Education (Honours) at UNSW Art & Design and a current JamFactory furniture studio associate.
- Thomas Maxam Studio, with their Candelabra 0001. Thomas Maxam Studio was founded by Thomas Cohen & Maxam Whiteley. They are a Melbourne based product design studio focusing on detail and user experience.
The talent of these early-career makers is impressive, a great indicator of the future of Australian craft and design. Join us Saturday 16 November at Level 1, Monaro Mall, Canberra Centre for celebration drinks provided by the Canberra Centre’s Design Bar. HOME:MADE 19 will be on display from 7 – 24 November.