A unique digital placemaking experience has arrived in the heart of the city.
From Tuesday 12 July to Friday 30 September, STORYBOX will showcase the creative knowledge of our beautiful city and will invite Canberrans to reflect on the different kinds of creativity that shape our city’s constant evolution.
The program centres around a four-square-metre digital cube in Garema Place and a series of digital plinths throughout the City West precinct.
The City Renewal Authority has partnered with national institutions along with local makers and creators to deliver a three-month showcase that brings interior worlds of learning, creativity and inspiration into the outside spaces of the City Centre. Through the STORYBOX project we are seeking to strengthen a sense of place and our shared connection with the Canberra community.
With a focus on high-quality outcomes within the city centre that bring impactful value to our community we hope to shift perceptions and entice locals and visitors back into Canberra’s heart. Ultimately this will allow Canberrans to interact with our national exhibitions in a whole new way, driving local visitation to national institutions and increasing the vibrancy and walkability of our city centre.
The key theme of Inside/Out provides members of the community with a ‘behind closed doors’ insight into the creative development process, fostering connection and shared understanding – which are rarely shared so widely in digital form. The project will invite reflection on the different kinds of creative knowledge that shape the city’s constant evolution over time by shining a light on:
- Community and creativity such as connections with First Nations artists
- Cultural collections such as historical content from the NFSA
- Precinct insights such as insights into our local people
- Innovations such as data-driven interactive mood rings.
Institutions will move beyond their walls to contribute carefully curated content to STORYBOX. These contributions together with digital content from local creators and makers will be regularly updated to reiterate the theme of evolution over time.
- ESEM Projects – STORYBOX creator and delivery partner
- National Gallery of Australia
- National Film and Sound Archive of Australia
- Australian National University
- National Museum of Australia
- Craft ACT
- Canberra Museum and Gallery
Experience STORYBOX from Tuesday 12 July to Friday 30 September 2022 in Garema Place and throughout the City West precinct.
- Storybox in Garema Place featuring work by Sassi Spirit
- Storybox Plinth near ANU featuring work by Ella Barclay